FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ...
to prepare the application
Scientist of the University of Rostock who are members of the Interdisciplinary Faculty can make an application.
The Mare Balticum Fellowship Program is announced annually. The announcement is published by the Pro-Rectorate of Research and Transfer of Knowledge and will be announced on the websites of the University of Rostock.
The funding for the fellowship program will be provided by the Vice Rector for Research and Knowledge Transfer. The funding volume depends on the financial resources made available by the University of Rostock.
It is strived for funding four to six plans per year. The exact number depends on the financial means granted by the University of Rostock.
The Mare Balticum Fellowship Program serves the funding of guest stays (max. 3 months) of national and international researchers. The grant includes:
- Expense allowance for guest academics: 3000 € per month (incl. accommodation and daily allowance) or per diem in the amount of 130 € for guest visits of 22 days maximum
- Travel allowance: one-time payment according to the country-specific travel allowance of the DFG
- Family allowance, if applicable: 300 € per child and month (may vary in individual cases)
- Costs of materials
You can invite both national and international guest researchers who already achieved scientific independence (R3-level according to EU Classification).
Systematically invite a guest scientist and make as applicant use of the opportunities that derive from the program:
- Deepening of the interdisciplinary cooperation
- Enhancement and stimulation of national and international science relations
- Strengthening of own research activities
- Initiation and preparation of joint projects
- Promotion of junior scientists
The following documents are required for the application:
- Application corresponding to the application form (in preparation for publication)
- CV of the guest researcher
- Photo of the guest researcher
Please, apply via the online application form.
to the application portal
After completing the application via the online application form you will receive a confirmation of receipt. After the application deadline, all applications received will first be reviewed by the Board of the Interdisciplinary Faculty. On the basis of the assessment, the Vice-Rector for Research and Knowledge Transfer receives a recommendation on the eligibility and prioritization of the submitted projects and decides on the funding commitments. After the evaluation and decision-making phase (2 - 4 weeks after the application deadline), you will receive a grant or rejection letter from the Vice-Rector for Research and Knowledge Transfer. Refusals are basically not justified.
Criteria for assessment:
A) General requirements:
- Membership of the INF
- Completed doctorate of the guest researcher
- Complete application documents
- Guest researcher has not taken part in the fellowship program yet
- Target group of series of events: doctoral candidates and postdocs
B) Assessment of professional expertise of the guest researcher:
- Academic CV
- Interdisciplinary research activities
- List of publications
C) Assessment of scientific project:
- Added value for the Interdisciplinary Faculty
- Added value for the institution
D) Assessment of the series of events for young researchers:
- Added value for doctoral candidates and postdocs
- Involvement of doctoral candidates and postdocs of different faculties / institutions
- Participation of other researchers of the University of Rostock or other research institutions
E) Assessment of the requested funding
- Adequacy of the allowance
- Information on the purpose and adequacy of the familiy allowance
- Travel cost allowance according to the country-specific travel cost allowance of the DFG
- Information on the purpose and adequacy of the lump-sum allowance for the cost of materials
F) Final assessment of the application
- Priority of the application from the viewpoint of the department
Applications for funding can only be submitted via the online application form following the announcement. After the submission of your application you will receive a confirmation of receipt.
to the call to the application portal
With the request to invite a guest researcher, the conception of a series of events for young scientists is expected. The concept is to be developed jointly by the applicant and the guest researcher. The series of events serves the scientific discourse with a superordinate topic. Moreover, the series of events should contain interdisciplinary elements and facilitate an interdisciplinary and cross-faculty exchange.
Costs of material can only be accepted for consumables that are directly linked to the guest visit. The material as well as the anticipated costs have to be listed in detail in the application. Costs for material, that have not been listed, cannot be repaid. In the application when describing the plans or the series of lectures for young researchers there must be a reference to the necessary material. For reimbursement, a corresponding invoice has to be presented to the Pro-Rectorate of Research and Trasfer of Knowledge.
after successful approval
The "Advice on the preparation and accompaniment of guest stays" also includes an overview of potential various-price accommodation options.
The payment of the expense allowance to the guest scientist is made without deduction of taxes. The guest scientist must state the expense allowances as income in his/her personal income tax return. The responsible tax office then decides on the taxation according to the respective law in force.
According to the tax code, the university is obliged to report payments that exceed 1,500 € per year to the tax offices. This also applies to foreign payees.
The series of events for young scientists is prepared and organised by the applicant and the guest researcher. The Graduate Academy supports the applicant with public relation work.
after project completion
There is an annual reporting obligation to the Ministry of Education. After completion of the project, a utilization report on the funds spent (numerical evidence and factual report) must be submitted to the Vice-Rector of Research and Transfer of Knowledge .
Pro-Rectorate of Research and Transfer of Knowledge
Phone: +49 381 498-1022
Phone: +49 381 498 8901