State Scholarship Programme
The University of Rostock awards, on the condition that related financial means are provided, scholarships for preparing a dissertation subject to the State Postgraduate Scholarship Programme of the State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern issued 20.11.2008 and the regulations on implementing the State Postgraduate Scholarship Act of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern issued 23 March 2010.
Dates and News
Currently, no State Postgraduate Scholarships are announced.
The estimated next call for proposals will be for scholarships with starting date 1st October 2018.
Conditions of funding
The procedure starts with the announcement the university will provide information about in due time.
Those persons can apply who:
- Completed university studies that qualify for an admission to doctoral studies,
- Are able to proof far above average study and examination results (specific qualification),
- Have been admitted for doctoral studies at the University of Rostock and plan a scientific project that is expected to make a significant contribution to research or
- Plan a scientific project that will contribute to increasing the competitiveness of the country’s economy.
A form must be used for submitting an application. This form and further details on the application are provided in the currently valid scholarship announcement.
Those persons are excluded from the funding who:
- Have already completed a dissertation,
- Have already been awarded public or private subsidies for the same project
- Have already been awarded subsidies from a public institution or a private institute that receives public funding related to another dissertation project,
- Are currently involved into an education course or professional initiation as far as this education course is not interrupted for the purpose and the duration of the project or
- Are employed, unless it is only a small-scale employment that can be combined with the funding.
Properly submitted and complete applications pass a two-level selection procedure. At first, the funding will be granted for one year. Upon application, the funding measure will be prolonged for one more year. As a rule, the dissertation should be completed after two years. In case specific reasons prevented this, two more prolongation of the scholarships for six months each can be granted in exceptional cases.
The monthly basic scholarship amounts to 1,100 Euros. In special cases, a family allowance of 150 Euros is granted for the first child, of 100 Euro each for every other child.
In case a longer stay abroad is necessary to implement the dissertation project, the state scholarship programme might be complemented by a DAAD increase scholarship for this purpose. This increase scholarship has to be applied separately.
The following documents are needed for submitting an application:
- Application form (only in German available)
- CV in tabular form
- Certified copy of the university leaving certificate
- Description of the project/ concept
- Expertise of the scientific supervisor
- Second opinion issued by a second university lecturer
- Declaration of consent issued by the institution where the project shall be implemented
Detailed information on the individual points are provided in the „Application guidelines“ (only in German available)
Extension requests have to be sent 8 weeks before the initial funding ends. The application consists of a progress report and an expertise of the scientific supervisor.
If you apply for an extension in exceptional cases (after the regular period of 24 months) an additional second opinion issued by an university lecturer has to be provided.
Guidelines for progress reports:
- Number of pages: 5 -10
- Generally understandable without reading the description of the project from the first application
- structure of the report:
- introduction to the topic/ aim of the project (max. 1 page)
- presentation of the achievements of the first year of funding in comparison with the original time schedule and working plan
- justification/ discussion of possible deviations
- working plan and time schedule presented as bar chart (original
working plan with changes)
The awarding of scholarships and material costs is a task assigned to the university. It is subordinated to the specialised supervision of the Ministry of Education.
The decision on the applicant’s qualification and the eligibility of the project in every individual case is made by the university’s award committee with the faculties in charge being involved. The award committee’s decision are subject to the legal supervision of the Ministry of Education.
Members of the award committee are:
- The rector or, as deputy, one pro-rector as head of the award committee,
- at least two professors,
- one scientific or artistic assistant or a scientific or artistic staff member or a lecturer for special tasks
- one graduated student.
The members of the award committee are elected by the Academic Senate of the University. A deputy is elected for each of the members. The term of office amounts to two years, the student members’ term in office amounts to one year. Re-election is permissible.
Members of the award committee
|Prof. Dr. Inge Broer||Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences|
|Prof. Dr. Kerstin Thurow||Faculty of Computer Sciences and Electrical Engineering|
|Prof. Dr. Guido Dehnhardt||Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences|
|Prof. Dr. Yves Bizeul||Faculty of Economic and Social Sciences|
|Dr. Sieglinde Sparre||Faculty of Theology|
|Maria Wittmiß||Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences|
Deputy award committee members
|Prof. Dr. Wolfgang März||Faculty of Law|
|Prof. Dr. Wolfram Seidel||Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences|
|Prof. Dr. Ursula Götz||Faculty of Humanities|
|Prof. Dr. Torsten Jeinsch||Faculty of Computer Sciences and Electrical Engineering|
|Danny Otto||Faculty of Economic and Social Sciences|
Prorektor für Forschung und Wissenstransfer (PFT)
Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Udo Kragl
Büro: Universitätsplatz 1, 18055 Rostock, Raum 125
Tel.: +49 (0) 381 498 1002
Fax: +49 (0) 381 498 1006
Universitätsplatz 1, Raum 122
Tel.: +49 (0) 381 498 1026