ACADEMIC PRESENTATION SKILLS
Lesley-Anne Weiling, Write English GbR, Köln
Number of Participants
up to 12
The workshop is held online.
The GA accepts no liability under data protection law or otherwise.
More information will be provided after registration.
Doctoral candidates, postdocs and researchers who present at international conferences
free of charge
This presentation skills workshop is conducted completely online. The benefit of this course is the high level of individual feedback, which is not always possible in a larger, face to face workshop.
- The workshop begins with a trainer - led session via Zoom for 3 hours (from 9:30 to 12:30). Participants can enter the virtual classroom up to 15 minutes before the start of the class.
- Following the training session, participants will be asked to make a short video of themselves giving a talk (for a maximum time of 5 minutes). The trainer will outline the task in more detail during the workshop.
- The trainer will watch the videos and set up individual appointments with the participants to give them feedback.
- What makes a successful conference presentation?
- Structuring your presentation for maximum impact ( getting and retaining audience attention)
- Considerations when presenting to an international audience
- Voice and pronunciation considerations
- Non-verbal communication and how to project credibility and confidence
- Understanding and controlling nervousness
- Handling the question and answer session
- Rehearsing and self-editing tips
- Design tips for visuals and slides
- Video based feedback
- Everything will be conducted online, but there will be opportunity for discussion among the participants using the break-out room function in Zoom.
- As well as structured input from the trainer, there will be individual feedback/coaching (including video)
- Participants will be provided with a handout, slides from the training and a comprehensive list of resources. The trainer is also happy to answer any questions on an ongoing basis by email or phone.
Information about the Lecturer
Lesley-Anne Weiling comes from Ireland and worked for over 10 years in sales and marketing in London. Since moving to Germany in 2002 she’s worked as a freelance trainer and consultant focusing on written English and presentation skills. She specialises in writing for business and promotional purposes and teaches regularly at the University of Cologne. Her emphasis is on communicating and persuading an international audience in both writing and presenting.
*Conditions for Participation
Members of the Graduate Academy can use their virtual member budget to cover the course fees. The registration for the workshop is binding. Our conditions for participation apply.