In 2010, only 3% of students in Germany were receiving a scholarship. Too few, agreed politicians and universities.
Therefore the German government created a national scholarship program, which is designed to support talented and high-achieving students and to lower the financial hurdles of an academic education.
The Deutschlandstipendium has established a new scholarship culture at numerous universities. Across Germany, thousands of talented students from all disciplines benefit from this support, which is financed in equal parts by public and private funds: Scholarship recipients receive funding of 300 Euros per month, of which 150 Euros come from a private sponsor.
This joint commitment by the federal government, private sponsors and universities foster top achievements and counteract the shortage of skilled workers. As the largest public-private partnership in the field of education, the Deutschlandstipendium strengthens the links between science, economy and society.
In addition to achievements in school and academics, social commitment and special personal circumstances are also taken into account when selecting scholarship recipients. The Deutschlandstipendium thus supports not only bright minds, but above all strong personalities in developing their potential.
The Deutschlandstipendium is primarily a performance-based scholarship that supports students whose backgrounds indicate good performance in their studies and careers. However, "soft" factors are also taken into account, such as voluntary work, special personal circumstances and life situations, or the willingness to take on social responsibility. The scholarship of 300 Euros per month is financed in equal parts by private sponsors (companies, associations and private individuals) and the federal government.
The new funding cycle starts with the beginning of the winter semester 2023 on the 1st october.
The application must be accompanied by the documents listed below. The documents must be uploaded to the online application portal within the application period. Subsequent submissions are not permitted and can therefore not be considered. Please combine all documents in one pdf-file.
1. a letter of motivation describing why you are applying for a scholarship (max. 2 DIN A4 pages)
2. a current curriculum vitae in table form
3. the certificate of the university entrance qualification (in the case of foreign certificates please provide a translation that can be transferred to the German system and converted to the German grading system)
4. if applicable, proof of a special qualification entitling the applicant to study in the respective degree program at the University of Rostock
5. if applicable, internship and work references as well as proof of special accolades and prizes, other knowledge and further honorary commitments.
Additional information for students in higher semesters
Students in higher semesters who are interested in a scholarship must also submit the following documents
- proof of the academic achievements to date
If some examination results are still pending, please do not submit them afterwards.
Additional information for students in the Master's program
The following documents are also required from scholarship applicants who are already studying for a Master's degree or who are applying for a Master's degree:
- the certificate of a first university degree and, if applicable, further certificates of achievement in accordance with the admission and selection regulations for the master's degree program
The corresponding legal bases can only be deposited in German to ensure legal protection.
Overview of the application process
The University of Rostock conducts a decentralized pre-selection procedure, which is structured as follows:
1. within the deadline, applications are submitted via the online portal.
2. after the application deadline, the applications are forwarded to the respective faculties.
3. the faculties pre-select which applications should receive a scholarship and inform the awarding committee of their decision.
4) The awarding committee, also known as the scholarship selection commission, evaluates the proposals and determines which applicants will receive a scholarship.
All applicants are informed in writing about the decision.
The awarding of the Deutschlandstipendien at the University of Rostock takes place once a year in the winter semester. The result of the selection decision is communicated after the end of the selection process, usually at the end of October.
Requests for further funding
Upon application, the Deutschlandstipendium may be extended, provided that the legal and statutory requirements for continued funding are met. The deadline for submitting the application for an extension, including all required documents is the 31st of July. The continuation of the scholarship is subject to the availability of sufficient private and public scholarship funds for the subsequent award period. If you are achieving your Bachelor degree during the funding period, you still are able to request further funding. In this case you need to apply again for scholarship when you start the Master's program.
The application contains the following documents:
1. a brief description of your further personal development since the granting of the scholarship, related to your studies, if applicable including special personal circumstances (one DIN A4 page)
2. an informal, short written report on the development of your personal and professional competencies from a faculty member with whom at least one examination has been taken (1-2 A4 pages; the examination does not have to have been taken in the current semester)
3. certificates of achievements during your studies (especially examinations, internships, stays abroad, excursions), which provide information about the quality of your achievements
4. a certificate of study for the current semester
5. a current correspondence address as well as valid bank details
If the standard period of study is exceeded during the requested funding period, please submit an informal written application with reasons at the same time as the application.
The application must be sent by e-mail (email@example.com) with complete documentation by July 31 of the current year.