A preparatory college offers prospective international students with an international school-leaving qualification the chance to prepare fully for a course in Germany. A school-leaving qualification obtained in your home country is not always recognised as a university entrance qualification (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung; HZB) in Germany. In this case, you must attend a preparatory college before you can start your course.
At preparatory college:
- Students learn German as a foreign language, as it is used in the chosen field of study.
- Students to learn how to use the technical language in their chosen field of study.
- Students acquire subject-specific basic knowledge and methods.
- Students develop their personal learning strategies.
- Students acquire the necessary cultural and social skills.
The following preparatory college is located in Mecklenburg Vorpommern:
- The Technical College at the University of Applied Sciences in Wismar
How do I apply?
You must have at least B2 language proficiency to apply.
To apply for the Studienkolleg Wismar, a formal application must be sent to the University of Applied Sciences in Wismar.
What can I study at a preparatory college?
At preparatory colleges, the choice of course depends on what programme you want to follow after you have left the college.
University colleges offer the following areas of specialisation:
- M course: for medical, biological and pharmaceutical programmes
- T course: for mathematical, scientific or technical programmes
- ES course: for economic and social science programmes
- G course: for humanities or German studies
- L Course: for language studies
Colleges at universities of applied sciences principally offer the following areas of specialisation:
- TE course: for technical and engineering programmes
- E course: for economics
- A course: for creative and arts programmes
- SS course: for sociology and social science programmes
General information about preparatory colleges in Germany is available on the website of the Working Group of Heads of Preparatory Colleges in Germany (Arbeitsgemeinschaft der LeiterInnen der Studienkollegs in Deutschland).