The idea for Kiron dates back to 2014. Refugees should be given an opportunity to continue their higher education while waiting in refugee camps for their asylum application to be processed, or should be able to complete language qualifications to study at a university in Germany (or another country).

Kiron students have the opportunity to continue their studies online in Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) and then switch to a Kiron partner university. The partner universities recognise certain MOOCs, so that students can start in a later course semester as soon as they meet all the formal requirements to apply for a place.

Refugees all around the world can study online with Kiron free of charge.

In addition to the MOOCs, there are a number of other services available to Kiron students:

  • Student guidance
  • Buddy programme
  • Mentoring programme
  • Student forum
  • Study Centres in selected cities in Germany

The University of Rostock has been a Kiron partner university since October 2016. The Institute of Computer Science is fully committed to giving refugees the opportunity to study at the University of Rostock. Discussions are currently under way with the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Marine Technology. Further faculties will be added one by one.

How do I apply to Kiron?

You must complete the following steps to apply to Kiron:

  1. Submit personal information and proof of refugee status
  2. Submit a letter of motivation
  3. Successfully complete in a short placement test in English

Once you have complete these steps successfully, you will be accepted as a provisional student.

You must then successfully complete two MOOCs. You have about a month to complete them both. You are then a full Kiron student and can start your course.

What documents do I need to prove my refugee status?

If you are in Germany, you will need one of the following documents:

  • Certificate of registration as asylum seeker/proof of arrival
  • Residence permit (Section 23 paras. 1, 2, 4, 5/Section 25 paras. 1, 2, 3,5/Section 60 paras. 5 or 7 of the Residence Act (AufenthG))
  • Permission to reside pending decision of asylum application (Aufenthaltsgestattung)
  • Temporary suspension of deportation status (Duldung)
  • Provisional residence document (Fiktionsbescheinigung) under Section 81 para. 5 of the Residence Act (AufenthG)

You can find more information at:

We accept no liability for the information provided or its accuracy.